Jan 18 2012
Dissection & Preservation
In Science, we dissected a dead frog. The frog… well it was very slimy, gooey, and verrry icky. I was reliefed that we didn’t have to catch our own frogs and cut them open alive… Just like students did “back in the days”. At first I was really scared to cut the skin of the frog, but later on I realized that it was already dead and we were doing this for our own goods. Thinking that it was going to be alright made me feel much better, so I started the dissection after taking a deep breath. My partner, Sarah and I, cooperated and worked together to make the dissection the best lab ever. I also learned that partnership was the most important step to making a great lab! After a few “Ewww”s and a lot of “fake pukes”, Sarah and I had finally cut the inner and outer skin of the frog’s belly.
“Gross!!!” was all I could think of when I saw the intestines. Apparently our frog was a female, and so it had a lot of black eggs. The first thing I saw when we opened the frog was the fat body and the small intestines. At first, I couldn’t really tell which were the intestines, and which were the fat body. They were both the same colors, and looked almost the same. We got our picking tools and starting looking around the frog anatomy. We saw the heart at the top of the frog, and the lungs right below and covering the heart. Here’s a picture of a perfectly dissected frog.
Hehehe sorry this might gross you out… But as it says on Mr. O’s blog; “No Guts, No Glory!”
Since this dissection unit was based on the “Ancient Egypt Unit” in Humanities, it was as if we were embalmers from the ancient times embalming the body of the king… Well for us, the frog.
The dissection was fantastic… though very bloody. After the dissection, we had to wait at least a week so that the frog would desiccate. We dried the dissected frog with tissues, and when it was nearly dried, we “massaged” them in natron; Just like how Ancient Embalmers did before. I thought that it would’ve been really cool if we got to treat our frogs like real kings; Preserve the 4 different internal organs in canopic jars, wash the body with water from the Nile, and put on good smelling oil and palm wine. Then we put the frog and the 1kg of Natron in a plastic bag, and rolled it so that the frogs would be dried after a few weeks. We had to take out all the air out from the bag, so we needed extra strength for this step. When the bag was tight and ready to go into preservation, we put all the bags in the center of the lab table, with masking tape surely enclosing the plastic bag.
Becoming a Mummy
A week after we did the dissection, our class took out other frogs that had been preserved in bags from formal students of 6th grade. of course, their frogs already very dry and hard. All the cells and moisture had been soaked out from the Natron. Sarah & I took turns wrapping the linen around the body of the frog. This wasn’t as easy as it seemed, because we had to wrap the linens really tight around the frog, so that it wouldn’t get loose in the future.
Wrapping it Up!
So all I have left to say now is what I thought of the unit of dissecting frogs and mummifying them.
It was totally mind-blowing. Absolutely what every kid in the whole Universe would like to try out!!!
(Mr. Olivas, the words that are in bold are the Vocab words, and the words underlined are the words and adjectives from “Today’s Meet”. Thanks!)